Maybe it’s the messy buns, the yoga pants, the flip flops or flats, the basic tee or the lack of sleep but for some reason…moms have this invisible bubble surrounding themselves; this routine that they have become so comfortable with that they fear doing something out of the norm will ruin their day, lives, whatever the case might be. But, stepping out of your comfort zone is one of the most liberating things you can do. No worries, fellow moms and readers, I wrote that down in my personal notebook of inspiration too. As a matter of fact, a few months ago I came across two quotes that I have written there that really gave me the push to start blogging. One said “life begins where your comfort zone ends” and another, was quirky and humorous and said “if you’re not living on the edge, you’re taking up too much space”. I refer to them often as inspiration but what are simple ways we can apply them in our everyday lives?
Here are 5 tips:
1) Visit a different park/playground/library. We get so accustomed to going to the same places and seeing the same people that the idea of going somewhere different gives us anxiety. Just try it. I recently did and was pleasantly surprised.
2) Try something new- a new activity, yoga class, fitness…something you think “moms” don’t have time for. If you’re telling yourself you don’t have time to do it or finding another excuse, then you should force that negative thought away and replace it with something actionable.
3) Introduce yourself to a new mom/parent. I recently noticed at an extra curricular that everyone sits in the same place week after week while waiting on their child. I got there early one day and decided to be a rebel and sat in a different spot…well guess what? At least a couple other persons did that and we struck up some interesting conversations. You never know what you might have in common or how just speaking to someone who can relate to something you are going through might be helpful and reassuring.
4) Change your personal style. It doesn’t have to be everyday because realistically we don’t have the time for that daily but change your style, get dressed up on a day you otherwise might not have.
5) Change your routine up a little, incorporate something you always thought of. It can be as simple as taking a little extra time for a face mask.
I hope you try at least a couple of these, in order to step out of your comfort zone and start realizing the best version of yourself!