- Pay attention to ACCURACY
– Don’t eliminate prefixes/suffixes
– Don’t skim over words or eliminate any
– Don’t add random words where you think they belong because this can change the entire sentence.
- Read with Appropriate EXPRESSION
– Ensure that your reading isn’t robotic and you are reading sentences, not words
- Pay attention to PUNCTUATION marks
– Look for commas and periods
– Identify any bold or larger text
- Read at a NATURAL PACE
– Do not speed through but try to read as though you are having a conversation.
- COMPREHEND what you are reading
– If you don’t understand, go back a few sentences and re-read
– Ensure you are understanding what you read
– Read with the intent to understand the story and learn from it.